Tramp Press is funded by the Arts Council and commits to upholding the Arts Council’s ‘Paying the Artist’ policy.
- We generally pay writers on a ‘favoured nations’ basis; that is, writers in a given year tend to be offered the same advance
- Though information on our advances and royalties can be found in the Match in the Dark policy documents, we prefer to protect the payment privacy of any authors who would rather not give this information
- When we make an offer for a manuscript or commission work we include information on payment in our initial proposal
- As well as paying strong advances and royalties, it is policy to ensure writers’ travel and accommodation expenses are covered for all events
- We (and/or our events partners) cover the cost of travel where the writer is travelling outside their county of residence. We also cover accommodation where the length of travel involved and/or the start time of the event necessitates it
- In certain circumstances, where a panelist is appearing in the capacity of their full-time permanent job, (such as an organisation director appearing on a panel), we do not pay an appearance fee
- Payments are made within 30 days of receipt of an invoice that can be emailed with the submission of commissioned or requested work and in accordance with our payment schedules (detailed in our contracts)
We are compliant with all tax matters including VAT.
We ensure writers’ fees are ring-fenced within our budget so that fees are protected if overruns occur in other areas of our operations.
We ensure that writers copyright is respected, both in terms of moral and economic rights.
Much of the language in the above is borrowed from the Arts Council’s ‘Paying the Artist’ policy document whose principles we align ourselves with.